When it comes to getting a radon detection done when buying a hope it is NOT something that is unnecessary, and here are some reasons why. Most people do not know what radon is, and for those people, radon is; “Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that can cause lung cancer. You can't see or smell radon”. So when buying a home, it is very important to make sure that your home is tested. Fun fact though, condos do not need to get tested for radon UNLESS it is a first floor apartment, given its proximity to the ground.
With all this, what should you be aware of when buying a home? According to the EPA, you should first, get the home tested, no matter what the previous owner says about the home being radon free. Secondly if it is a new construction, make sure to ask if the home was built with radon resistant building materials. You should also get a radon detection device as soon as you move in to ensure that your house is protected.
Why should you look into a home that is radon resistant? The health benefits. Randon has been found to cause lung cancer and the second leading cause of lung cancer next to cigarettes in the United States. To protect your family it is the smartest thing to do. Also in the long run a radon resistant home is cost effective given that using or seeking out building materials that inhibit randon cost much less than fixing a radon problem.